Monday, February 11, 2008

Eyes: Faulkner's Perspective on Mankind

Critic Richard Godden cites Paul Virilio as saying that in A Fable, the bird's-eye-view of earth is taken by the pilots, who photograph the landscape for the purposes of knowing how best to demolish it. Virilio suggests that the privileged perspective on human activity is made by the very one's who are intent on destroying it. As a parallel, I hope to make a comparison between the way mankind is viewed in A Fable, and the image of the "eye" of the billboard which appears at the end of The Sound and the Fury. What is the "privileged perspective" in The Sound and the Fury? Does the billboard represent Capitalism/Materialism? Is it a Paternal Eye, the eye of "Father," the eye of God?

Also, as I was in the shower, I realized I should probably hold off on reading the 200 pages left in A Fable until later. I will stick to reading the rest of As I Lay Dying, and completing The Birth of Tragedy tomorrow. I think I will get too stressed trying to shove A Fable into my schedule, and it won't be as productive a criticism.

The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying and Birth of Tragedy (equals) Nihilistic/Existential Tragedy in a Family Setting

A Fable is probably best matched up with what I may go on to call Faulkner's War Trilogy:
Absalom, Absalom! and The Unvanquished and A Fable (equals) Faulkner's Criticism of War and Will to Power

Anyway, let's hope I can keep this blogging up!

Much Love...

1 comment:

alphabet1 said...

"Keep your eye on Mottson"

eyes on signs. I'm at a loss here.